Monday 4 July 2011

Challenge 3: 'The Colour of Magic'

Your mission, and you have no choice but to accept it, is to read:
The Colour of Magic
, by (Sir) Terry Pratchett
.


The Colour of Magic is the first book in the Discworld series. Me, I love Discworld, and it seems that everyone else either loves or hates it; there is no middle ground - comic fantasy isn't for everyone. Hopefully Emma will love it, as there are plenty more books in the series (40ish, I think).


One of the beauties of the Discworld series is that the books don't have to be read in order - you can skip pretty much straight to the good ones. While The Colour of Magic isn't (in my opinion) the best Discworld book, it is the first and that is why I am assigning it. Hopefully Emma will like it enough to read some more.

I am honestly unsure how much Emma will like this book, it does have some very... odd... humour. I love it, and I know quite a few people who do too, but it isn't for everyone. (So if you hate it Emma, I apologise :P).

In the end, Discworld is really summed up by this quote from T.P. himself:


"There are no maps. You can't map a sense of humor. Anyway, what is a fantasy map but a space beyond which There Be Dragons? On the Discworld we know There Be Dragons Everywhere. They might not all have scales and forked tongues, but they Be Here all right, grinning and jostling and trying to sell you souvenirs."

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is a bit slow isn't it?
    It's now over a m month since Disc World hove into view - appeared over the horizon so to speak - and still no mention that you have even read the cover blurb!

    I need to know - should I or should I not read "The Colour of Magic"?

    I need guidance - let's move it along a bit, hey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Review is up - sorry for the delay in making our recommendation available to you!

    ReplyDelete