Tuesday 11 October 2011

Review 5: 'Never Cry Wolf'

First of all, I would like to tell you about the aspect of the book that I didn't like: whatever the hell the cover was made of. Touching it felt like fingernails on a blackboard, if that bothers you which it never did me, but I can imagine.

Next I would like to tell you that I really enjoyed this book. As Luke said, it is by biologist Farley Mowat, who is sent out to the wilds of Canada to find out why wolves are killing all the caribou. (Spoiler: They're not.)

Mowat describes the two summers and a winter he spends there, as he studies and gets to know a family of wolves. It is Bryson-ish in tone, which keeps it light and entertaining even though there is lots of factual science and nature elements in there. It was a surprisingly quick read. It really got me interested in the wolf family - when it was done I wanted a sequel so I could find out what happens to them after the book.

I would definitely recommend this book, and I may even investigate some others he's written. I think this is the most enjoyed and agreed-upon book in the Challenge so far.

2 comments:

  1. Incidentally, another of his book which I just finished reading (and would recommend) is The Boat Who Wouldn't Float. Great book too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit back and nod in complacent satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete