Tuesday 6 December 2011

Author Visit: Matthew Reilly

Last week, I went to a local Author Talk - Matthew Reilly promoting his latest book, Scarecrow And The Army Of Thieves. Luke first introduced me to Matthew Reilly a few years ago - best recommendation he's ever made - and we both read the latest book as soon as it was released.

Matthew Reilly discussing the painting used for the cover of Scarecrow And The Army Of Thieves.


I've never been to an author event before, and I quite enjoyed it. I know he did some other appearances that we just listed as Signings or Visits, but this was an hour-long presentation by Matthew Reilly about (it seemed) pretty much whatever he wanted to mention. He spoke about the various cover art decisions (Americans like explosions and calling people Matt instead of Matthew), where he gets his ideas, film and television possibilities, and his next projects.

I really wanted something that I wouldn't have been able to get from the internet or didn't already know, and I got it:
Spoiler warning he used before showing something from the new book.
the main character of his new novel is a girl. At least I think so. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a major but not main character.
 
I also really wanted news on when the next Jack West book is coming out, and the answer is: keep waiting, buddy. I feel like authors should be like story-writing robots, and as soon as one book comes out the next one should be nearly ready to go. Turns out it's not quite like that, if you are Matthew Reilly. I will be very eager to read Four Whatever Whatevers when it is eventually released, but since I just learned that books don't write themselves, it may be a while.

From Hovercar Racer.

No comments:

Post a Comment