Monday 19 March 2012

Review 8: 'Hunting Party'

This is definitely the most satisfying round yet. Two Challenges, two happy customers.

I enjoyed Hunting Party.

Heris Serrano was an officer born of a long line of officers ... until a treacherous superior officer forced her to resign her commission. ... Heris finds employment as 'Captain' of an interstellar luxury yacht. Being a rich old woman's chauffeur isn't quite the same as captaining a Fleet cruiser ... Or so she thinks.

I had read the Elizabeth Moon/Anne McCaffrey novel Sassinak, and thought this would be quite similar. The writing style was, but this book, I thought, wasn't sure what it was supposed to be - it starts out all spacey and catching criminals and the like, quickly becomes a book about fox-hunting, before turning into a cross between Survivor and Swallows and Amazons.

I do feel like this book was quite a set-up for the rest of series, which is hopefully set in space, chasing bad guys. I will read another one to find out - especially as the only copy I could get my hands on was a three-title omnibus edition.

Oh and also, character names should begin with different letters. I'm easily confused.




No comments:

Post a Comment