Thursday 6 June 2013

Challenge 17: a Bloody Jack Adventure

First of all, I cannot believe Luke DNF'd on Code Name Verity, of all books! I really thought it would be right up his alley, and I flew through the reading of it, so I am just astounded that he could leave it unfinished. Especially since - spoiler! - the end is where all the major stuff happens. Sub-challenge: finish it by the end of this year.

Second, I got a tablet for Christmas. Yay! The main reason I wanted one was to use as an e-book reader, but I only just resumed catching public transport to work, so I haven't really needed it until now. I found out that you can borrow e-books through the SA Libraries service, and while browsing through I came across the Bloody Jack series.


I had heard of this series before - which begins with Bloody Jack: being an account of the curious adventures of Mary 'Jacky' Faber, Ship's Boy - but I wasn't sure if it was maybe a bit young for me. But it was free and I wanted to test out my tablet.

I read the first eight books in under three weeks. (That's a lie; I didn't read the first one because NO ONE HAS IT GRRR.) I even read the books - gasp! - at home, even though books are clearly FOR THE TRAM RIDE. Yep, I smashed them out good, and now am only two books from the end. Oops.



I took Luke to the (actual physical) library and picked out the one I thought he would like the most out of what was there. Luke: your Challenge is to read one of the Jacky Faber novels, if not all of them.

Third, and finally, I have Some Thoughts:
- The whole Cockney accent thing that is prevalent in the first couple of books is basically non-existent by the later ones, so don't let that put you off if it's not your cup of tea.
- I am not sure what age group I would categorise this as. I would say late primary school, for the pirate themes and fun adventures, but there are frequent references to more adult topics so I would probably have to say late high school. I worry that those people might not be into pirate stories, but then I am 27 so I guess you're never too old.
- I would like to hear people's thoughts on Jaimy, mostly whether or not he is an oppressive patriarchal imbecile who is not worth a minute of Jacky's time. I have to say that the latest book I've read has mostly swung me around to him, but I would still like to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment